Sunday, August 9, 2009

Fashion Sense

A few Sundays ago, I made the unfortunate decision to get dressed in my church clothes before I put on my make-up. Being the clutz that I am, this is never a good idea, and I have learned this the hard way. Invariably when I have done this, I drop my mascara wand and it has hit my shirt, skirt, or dress on the way down. Then I am faced with the predicament of finding something else to wear, which usually requires me to drag out the iron and ironing board...you get the idea. I thought I would save myself the hassle of changing into my grubby clothes again and just put on one of Dean's old button-down shirts while I put on my make-up. I had no idea what a stir this would cause. First there was Drew's reaction: "Whoa! Mom, you are not wearing that to church!" After I explained the situation he says, "Okay good, cause that does not go together." It should be noted that when I shop for Drew, I always shop in outfits, anticipating how "cool" (we are not allowed to say cute) he will look in them. Without fail, Drew never pairs up the bottoms with the tops that I planned. But, he definitely certain that what I had on this particular morning would not be getting Stacy London's approval. (He is tortured by What Not to Wear episodes sometimes when Danielle and I watch them).
Now I will give you Brinley's reaction: "Mom! That does NOT look good." Brinley has this fake laugh that undertones her sentences that are meant to be especially patronizing. It is actually really cute and it makes me smile how big and important she thinks she is. "You cannot wear that to church mom," she says with her crooked smile. I explained the situation to her and she seemed satisfied.
I was able to finish my make-up without incident, of course, because I never drop my mascara wand when I prepare like that, and we made it to church. I am also sleeping better now knowing that my children have the strong and firm belief that a men's plaid button-down shirt should not be worn with a women's floral skirt. Oh my, we have come so far...

4 comments:

Cutey said...

Well, on the up side, your kids dress better than mine, one of "cuties" has actually tried to wear plaid and floral together.

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

HAHA! Its a good thing your kids are keeping an eye out for you! You should have worn that to church. It might have raised a few eyebrows, and embarrassed you kids to death.

Anonymous said...

D-
You Rock!
Love,
Sonni

Amy H. said...

If plaid and floral are wrong - then I don't want to be right. :)

Dean and Dayna

We've been married for 14 years and have 3 wonderful kids!

I got it...

I got it...
Ball with dad on an amazing Sunday afternoon!

Perfect form...

Perfect form...
A little after church ball with dad...

Static Electricity...

Static Electricity...

Airborne...

Airborne...
2 inch vertical!!!!!!!!!!!

Back yard fun

Back yard fun

Disneyland

Disneyland
The benefits of living in California