Sunday, September 14, 2008

already learning and school just started

School started the Tuesday after Labor Day. I was so worried about my kids getting the teachers they would need to learn the most they could this year. Little did I know that my daughter would teach me a very important lesson that I had forgotten. Danielle has a very close friend at school and church named Bailey. She stood next to Danielle through some pretty tough times last year, and we do not know what she would have done without Bailey. When Danielle came home that first week of school and told me that both her and Bailey wanted to run for Secretary of the Ronald Reagan Elementary School Student Council, my heart fell. I am thinking in my mind, well this is it, there is no way any friendship can take this, even theirs. I mean, they are girls right? Girls don't do well with these sort of situations. When I protested that Danielle needed to run for another office, she assured me that her and Bailey would be fine. I decided that I needed to have faith in her and Bailey, but inside I had serious doubts. Not because I didn't think that the both of them were top notch girls, but because I had no idea how exceptional they are. Both Bailey's mom, Jenie and I talked to our girls about being happy for each other in victory or defeat and they both assured us again that it was not a problem. I was driving around one day, really worried about how the whole thing would affect their friendship and an almost irritated voice popped into my head "you just need to believe that this is possible." I realized that I was witnessing something very special and I was ruining it. As the days came and went, I watched these girls campaign together, wearing each other's stickers and pinky-swearing that they would vote for each other (with full confidence). I knew that what I was seeing was rare, but very possible. These girls love the Lord first, and by so doing can have a true and rare friendship (yes between girls) that can last through a lot more than a silly student council election. So, Bailey and Danielle, I just want to say, thank you for teaching me about friendship between two girls who know that they are daughters of God. You both showed me and everyone the divine nature that is in each of you and let me feel a little piece of the heaven that we are all striving for. Thanks for letting me tag along for the ride. No matter what happens, you are both winners to me. Love you both.

4 comments:

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

I admit when my boys told me they were both running I raised an eyebrow. But they are both such sweet girls, and if anybody could do it, they could. If these girls could learn how to not be competitive and jealous, and cheer their friends on now, how much further ahead they will be in life. I think a lot of grown woman really struggle with that one. My twins wanted to run for the same office at first, but I talked them out of it. I guess I don't have the faith you have, plus I have to live with both of them.

Mark and Stefani McCune said...

What a great example the girls are to us (well, me!) Good luck to them!

Also, I saw that one of Dayna's favorite books is the Mother West Wind books. My grandma had one that I got when I was little. I love those stories! :)

Jenie said...

There's been a lot going on already this year and the girls are just taking everything in stride. Thanks for this sweet post; I'm so happy that Bailey has such a cute friend in Danielle. They're a lot alike and it's fun to watch them act like they're 16 even though they're 9. They're having a fun year and I know it's just going to get better. We have a pretty fun job and I'm glad we're sharing it together.

Katie Gillis said...

Thank you for this inspiring post. Danielle is way beyond her years and a great example of a great friend. What a great mom you are... thanks

Dean and Dayna

We've been married for 14 years and have 3 wonderful kids!

I got it...

I got it...
Ball with dad on an amazing Sunday afternoon!

Perfect form...

Perfect form...
A little after church ball with dad...

Static Electricity...

Static Electricity...

Airborne...

Airborne...
2 inch vertical!!!!!!!!!!!

Back yard fun

Back yard fun

Disneyland

Disneyland
The benefits of living in California