Here are some thoughts from Nana on her visit:Sunday, August 30, 2009
Sunday is a family day. There were naps for a few, a little TV, quiet time and then dinner. After dinner Brinley and Nana started a game of keeping the balloon in the air. She laughed so hard and jumped up and down—very coordinated little one. She would pull her long red curls back away from her face and say, “I’m having fun!”
The night before the first day of school calls up the tradition of Father’s Blessings for the coming year. Dean was prepared. Each blessing was insightfully specific for what each child was to learn and be aware of. Tears were shed and, again, the Spirit was strong--the end of a perfect day.
Brinley ended her day by popping the balloon she and Nana had been playing with. Pop! Wow! We’ll buy some more tomorrow!
Monday, August 31, 2009
Today was the first day of school for Drew and Danielle. New backpacks, pencils and tablets along with unexpected lunches piled in the car. Dayna had her camera already to take a picture but, Drew and Danielle were so anxious to get on with their first day, they barely would stop for a click of the camera.
We took Brinley on an outing and received a donated balloon at Henry’s, the local grocery store and on the way home stopped for some Jack in the Box tacos. Somehow Nana got it in her head that this was the day to clean out the kitchen junk drawer.
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Dayna and I cleaned out the game closet in the loft. We started around 10:00am and ended around 4:30 pm. We took bags to the thrift store, created a box for the church nursery and one for library donations. We organized books, games, costumes and Lincoln Logs!
Side note from Dayna: Here are some of the interesting outfits Brinley came up with while rummaging through all the junk...


Returning to Nana's thoughts:We got showered and ready for a girls’ night out--the movie “Julie and Julia.” Both of us loved it. Then we went for nachos and ended the evening at Baskin Robbins for some baseball-nut (cashews) raspberry ice cream! To die for. What a fun day!!!
Wednesday, September 02, 2009
Brinley and Nana hung out while Mom took the kids to school. Nana told her we had to get dressed because we were going to go to Target. She got a funny look on her face and then, in her most direct language and volume of voice replied, “You are not in charge!” So glad Nana found that out!

After Mom returned home, we did go to Target and bought curtain rods, shower curtain rods, shower curtain, waste basket, Brinley’s desires and on and on.. The most exciting purchase was Brinley’s new bookcase! After cleaning out the loft closet we realized we had to have book shelves!!! After making another trip to the thrift store for a drop-off via a trip to Walgreens, we got home and proceeded to assemble the bookcase. With our best helper—Brinley-- we organized the books and some cute stuffed animals in between before collapsing for a nap.Cleaning out the pantry seemed like a bright idea and counting seven oatmeal crunch cereal boxes that Dean had bought and which now reflect past-due dates seemed amusing. So to the garbage! Dayna prepared for Young Women’s and the spaghetti dinner prepared Drew for his first Cub Scout meeting!
The climax of the week was trimming Brinley’s hair. Danielle was a big-time helper! Brinley said she thought it was beautiful and that it was like Danielle’s. All of a sudden she became older: her hand on her hip, her voice saying, “Dad said I was in big trouble; am I in trouble?” The mere trim was a transformation.
Thursday, September 3, 2009Danielle had a school project due Friday so, when she returned home from school, we began working on it. She was a bit stressed at first, but then she came up with a great creative idea. She had a large office clip and she had to create an imaginary product and an advertising poster. She used the theme of looking through the triangle of the clip, seeing a reflection, and selling her clip/product as a five-hour eye refresher for people who want to drive a long way, read a book longer, or older people who have weak eyes. Her poster was a huge triangle with two smaller triangles as eyes and the larger triangle for describing her product and what it could do. Very fun! We were excited for her as she left for school Friday morning.
Friday, September 04, 2009Brinley and I began our day with puzzles. I sleep in her room with her and after we read books at night, she says, “What do you want to do talk about?” So we talk about whatever she is thinking about. Last night she said, “I don’t know why Drew chose those songs for his baptism. He chose one girl song and one boy song and I don’t know why he did that.” I assume the girl song was “Jesus Came to John the Baptist,” and the boy song was “Called to Serve.” She is a kick!
Later in the morning Dayna and I took her to Jo Ann Fabrics with us. She heads straight for the card section, which she does frequently, and picks out princess cards—with envelopes—and carries them around with her as if she is shopping for herself. We found some Dora fabric to make her a nightie even though I had made her a pink and red striped one earlier. She “wants a Dora nightie!” Okay, so we are going to make a Dora nightie this weekend.

I have been doing some mending for Dayna and fixing a couple pair of Danielle’s jeans--cutting them off and hemming them up. She is so easy to please. Tonight while I was sewing the kids and I watched ‘Chicken Little.” Drew laughs so hard and so deep that I can’t help laughing at him—forget the movie! I made some brownies and we had ice cream and brownies after the movie. Dayna and Dean had a nice date.
Side note from Dayna: Nana took some Sunday pictures her second Sunday here...


3 comments:
How fun to have those memories with Nana all typed up! I love it! What lucky grandkids to have such a wonderful grandma and I'm thinking maybe next time she comes, she can stay at our house. I have a couple of closets that may need Nana's touch. :)
Oh - I just loved this post!!!!!
Love Brinley's outfits. Very classy.
Post a Comment