So, every week I would complain about soccer. Then game day would come, and I couldn't help it! I wanted us to win! Right, like I have anything to do with it! Anyway, there was this one team we will call them, the purple team, who we played during the regular season. There was a little bit of drama after we beat them. Their star player accused our star player of kicking one of the girls from their team. One of the moms on the other team yelled at our star player, our player cried, and it was over. So, this team was kind of on our team's radar, so to speak. I kind of missed the drama this first game, didn't realize how serious it was until the next time we played them, during the playoffs. I drove Danielle up early to check in for the game, Dean was coming later with Brinley and Drew. I am calmly walking to the bathroom when I see the purple team spraying their hair purple. Then I walked back to our team and we are spraying our hair green. I place a phone call to Dean and said, "I didn't know this was such a serious game. This is clearly not a typical game." Dean replies with the usual: "Oh honey it's no big deal." "I don't know," I am saying, "this does not seem like a typical game. You can cut the tension with a knife." So, the game starts and everything is fine, except we have this referee that I am noticing more than normal. I have been going to soccer games for 7 years now, and 3 years with referees and this honestly will be THE ONLY referee I remember. He was beyond obnoxious! If you even cheered for your kid, he threatened to throw you out. He was making quite a few calls against us that he was not calling on the other team. I made some quiet comments to Dean behind my hand like "He is so obnoxious" and "I think he knows someone on that other team." But it was what it was and all the referees are volunteer so whatever. Well, with a few minutes left in regulation, our star player scored a goal making the score 2-1 in our favor. As soon as she did, the purple team's goalie fell to the ground, a little too delayed. Our player was at least 2 feet away when she fell. I told Dean, "This ref is going to wave off the goal, I promise you." Dean says, "No honey, he can't wave off the goal, he has already called it." What happens? THE REF CALLS OFF THE GOAL! Then, says we were done with regulation time, (which we were not), then, says we are starting over time. Our players and parents didn't even know what was going on. A lot of the parents from our side starting walking onto the field. I might have stood up :) Anyway, someone called over the commissioner and I swear the whole board came over. It got straightened out, and the score stayed 2-1. Everyone went home, but it was quite the drama! Okay so fast forward a couple of weeks later, it is championship game day. Who came out of the losers bracket on top? Um, ya the purple team. We were scheduled to play at 8am. They won in over time by one goal. So we all had to come back at 12pm and play again! Oh they tried all the same tricks again, falling after every contact, having to be carried off the field crying and then bounce right back in the game after like a minute, but we had really good refs for both games. So, at 12pm, this is it, the game for the championship. It was a dog fight, poor Danielle is outweighed by everyone out there by like 50-100 pounds, being one of the youngest in the 10-12 division and THE smallest. She never cries, and always bounces right up and is ready to play again. Anyway, we WON 2-1 in regulation! Everyone was was so excited! It was awesome! We were exhausted too, Danielle came home and relaxed the rest of the day. So, now we are on to regional playoffs, but....so is the purple team, teams #1 and #2 move on! Oh my, stay tuned. That is if you honestly read all this, which I don't blame you if you didn't, I just need to record it somewhere :)
Disney World 2017
9 years ago


3 comments:
Sounds like you had a crazy day!! We did soccer for a few years in Oregon with Spencer... but he's just not competitive enough to really get in there. He just wanted everyone to get a chance to play and have a good time... which was okay the first year, but the second year he got steamrolled!!
Holy Guacamole!!!!! All that drama from the purple team!
I was just listening to a statistic about how many kids become pro athletes and it was something horribly low like 10 in a 100 million or something. Just crazy low. So, we have to know when we put kids in sports, they probably aren't there to learn to be professionals. But they ARE there to learn to work hard, play as a team, leave better people...and Purple Team just missed all of that. For nadda. So sad. GO GREEN!
I could just picture you on the sidelines getting so riled up because of that dumb ref. But way to go to Danielle's team winning fairly. Good luck in regional!
Post a Comment