Thursday, October 30, 2008

My letter to the Editor in the Desert Sun today

    Here is my letter to the editor that was printed. I guess rants at 4am get published. I am just glad they are choosing to report on stolen signs, if only on the editorial page.

    I told Channel 2 yesterday all about the stolen and vandalized signs, but they chose to not air it. At least this is something:

    Suggestions for the “No on 8” campaign:
    Defeating Proposition 8 will come down to voters who are still unde
    cided. I am not sure stealing “Yes on 8” signs will convince undecided voters to vote no on 8.

The elderly couples and mothers portrayed in your ads are typically law-abiding citizens who respect a person's right to free speech. They respect it whether it is on Jefferson Street, Washington Street, Avenue 38, Country Club Drive and Varner Road, where every single “Yes on 8” sign has been stolen, or on someone's front lawn and personal property, where trespassers have robbed many of my friends' “Yes on 8” signs. There have even been examples of replacing the signs with altered signs.

The votes you need are from people who can smell hypocrisy a mile away. For a group that screams equality and tolerance, your volunteers' antics stink of indoctrination and intimidation, not sweet tolerance and equality. I suggest you put “No on 8” signs next to public “Yes on 8” signs.

I also suggest that you leave people's personal property on their land alone. Just a suggestion.

Dayna Mattsson Indio

6 comments:

Lillie said...

SOO well said Dayna. Hooray! It got published!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Good for you girl! I am so glad you said it! They shouldn't be able to pull that garbage and get away with it.

Shannan said...

I am so glad that you were published! You said it perfectly, even at 4 in the morning!

TnD said...

I ran across your blog today and just want to say that I really admire your vigilance on the Prop 8 issue. It is really inspiring.

Heidi said...

Dayna, I always knew you were destined to do great things and you have! I am proud of you and I wish I could vote in California, wave signs with you, work at the polls with you, but appear on TV--I'll pass! I love you. Mom

~Namaste~ said...

I ran across your blog today and was saddened by it.
I was born and raised LDS, yet I absolutely cannot believe the amount of money, time and effort by members to get involved in this political issue. Not only that, but the amount of judgment is extremely disheartening.
As a believer in Jesus Christ I feel certain that his heart would be sorrowful to see this.
Gay and Lesbian couples are sons and daughters and brothers and sisters too. Why should our religion get so involved in a cause that is not going to affect us in any way? How will it hurt us to allow them to visit each other in the hospital? To get tax breaks on a home together? To enjoy a ceremony to express their loyalty and love? How is this personally going to hurt any of us?
We can't defeat love. And we certainly aren't going to "change" people from being gay or lesbian. They are that way. And I personally believe they were put on this earth to teach many of us love, tolerence and respect of what we don't understand.
Unless you yourself know what it is like being gay/lesbian I find myself having a hard time understanding your vigelence in "defeating" the rights of Americans just like yourself.
Mormons were chased from New york, through the midwest and ended up in the deserts of Utah after being tarred and feathered. Abused, judged and tormented. Ridiculed and laughed at. Religions and the entire country were against the LDS church. Many died crossing the plains to get to where they felt safe.
After knowing how harmful judgment and poor treatment of others can be, why would you advicate that?
What is wrong with allowing others to love each other and be married? The LDS church doesn't have to allow them to be married in the temple if they don't want. But legally by political bounds how is it going to hurt you? They are going to be gay with or w/out the marriage.

As far as your signs. Here in Utah we have had SEVEN Obama signs stolen. THREE have been painted on and another ripped right in half.
So...I guess we should blame this on the Mcain group and all Republicans? Or...could it just be a small group of bad apples? Which is probably the case with your sign as well.
I'm quite sure all the lesbian and gay brothers and sisters in your area aren't after you and your signs. And the news report I saw said that two teenagers were Straight kids who took the signs. They had about 60 signs in their truck. They did it on their own because they feel that ignorence and judgment are wrong.
When Jesus Christ said "love one another" do you feel that he meant to exclude certain people?
Gay/Lesbian people are not evil and horrible. They are everyday people just like you who just want to have the same rights as every other human being in this country of ours.
Can you believe that there were people trying to stop Women from the right to vote? Or African Americans to have the right to sit where they pleased on a bus, drink from certain fountains, or many other things. Not to mention teh LDS church wouldn't allow black men to hold the priesthood. Someday I believe we will be saying "can you believe we used to discriminate against gay and lesbians".
Politically this issue is a seperation of church/state and should remain that way.
The LDS church has done alot of good in the world to help many people. I think this is probably the worst thing i've seen the church participate in. Having their personal opinion is one thing, but spending 20 MILLION dollars to stop other human beings from having equal rights? I have to question that.

Maybe someday if you have a sister/brother/son/daughter or dear friend who is gay you might then understand. It would break their hearts to know how much effort you put into stopping them from having the same rights that you have automatically.

Love one another. Love thy neighbor. And be careful with those stones you are casting....

Dean and Dayna

We've been married for 14 years and have 3 wonderful kids!

I got it...

I got it...
Ball with dad on an amazing Sunday afternoon!

Perfect form...

Perfect form...
A little after church ball with dad...

Static Electricity...

Static Electricity...

Airborne...

Airborne...
2 inch vertical!!!!!!!!!!!

Back yard fun

Back yard fun

Disneyland

Disneyland
The benefits of living in California