Thursday, April 1, 2010

Dove of Peace (take 2)

So, last year in March, I posted about a "dove of peace" that had made a nest in one of our palm trees in the backyard http://mattsson5.blogspot.com/2009/03/our-dove-of-peace.html. She is back! I mean well, I don't know. I am not familiar with dove life spans. If the mother from last year is still alive, I would be surprised if she chose our tree, our yard, our famil--well, me as a protective environment again. Let me explain. Last year a dove (which may or may not be this dove) made a nest a little further out on the branch than this picture, in the same tree. There was a terrible wind one night. I went to check on said dove. I saw the nest on the ground but didn't really know what to do, the mother was gone. I retired to my bed to watch some kind of meaningful (ahem) tv show. Dean came home shortly after from some meeting and I told him the dove was gone, with a pathetic, "sad, huh?" (I am still watching my meaningful tv show). Dean: "Did you put the nest back in the tree?" Dayna: "Um, no." Dean: "Dayna! What about the cats?" (picture now a dramatic rush downstairs as he runs to rescue the innocent bird eggs).

Okay so, brief pause here to insert some background. At this time, and they are gone now, we had what everyone called the "cat house" the next street over. Anytime you drove by this house, you could see at least 20 cats on the doorstep and more in the two permanently parked cars in front which I guess were more "housing" for more cats (?!@#?!) So when Dean said "cats," make no mistake, I knew which "cats" he was referring to and realized with horror, that I had forgotten this menacing threat to all doves, dove eggs, and probably small children in our neighborhood.

So, to sum up, Dean goes out there and finds blood everywhere, and no eggs. I had seen none of this not 30 minutes before I started my MEANINGFUL tv show. So, yes, I feel guilty still, and yes, even though the "cat people" are gone, I shall be more vigilant in my protector duties this time. This mother dove is so sweet and does not even fly away when any of us come near. She has already had an effect on Brinley, she has been sleeping during the day again. I will definitely check and double check on our Mother Dove frequently. Happy Spring!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I love doves! We have some that live in the neighborhood and I hear them in the morning every once in awhile. Love the picture of Brinley :)

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

How sweet! Better luck this time.

Dean and Dayna

We've been married for 14 years and have 3 wonderful kids!

I got it...

I got it...
Ball with dad on an amazing Sunday afternoon!

Perfect form...

Perfect form...
A little after church ball with dad...

Static Electricity...

Static Electricity...

Airborne...

Airborne...
2 inch vertical!!!!!!!!!!!

Back yard fun

Back yard fun

Disneyland

Disneyland
The benefits of living in California